The Kitselas Lands & Resources department works closely with the Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine’s Dog Control Services to manage dogs on Kitselas Reserve Lands.
Get a dog license
- Come to the Kitselas Lands & Resources office in Gitaus or book an appointment for us to come to you.
- Fill out the dog license application form.
- Pay $15 and receive a dog tag (must be displayed on your dog at all times) and a copy of the license.
- Re-new your license every January.
As per the Kitselas Dog Control Act, all dogs are required to be licensed with Kitselas Reserve Lands Management. Public spaces in Kulspai and Gitaus are regularly patrolled throughout the week to ensure all dogs, and dog owners, are acting responsibly so everyone can enjoy public spaces. Benefits of a dog license include:
- Fastest way to reunite with your lost dog.
- Fees help offset costs of operating animal control and shelter services.
- Owners of licensed dogs do not pay additional penalties if dog is impounded.
Looking for your dog
Once a dog is impounded, it will be brought to the Thornhill Animal Shelter. If the owner is known, you will be notified as soon as possible. Kitselas members pay the impoundment fees as listed on the Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine’s website.
Report a Loose Dog
Call 778-634-3517 with details of the dog and location.
Report an Aggressive Animal or Animal Cruelty
Call BC SPCA at 1-800-622-7722. Provide details such as name of owner, address, date and time. If possible, provide evidence such as pictures and videos.