Kitselas Lands Management is responsible for issuing dog licenses. The department also assists the Kitselas Department of Public Works, Infrastructure & Housing (link to page) with dog control issues.
We have a dog control agreement in place with and work closely with the Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine’s Dog Control Services on these issues.
Public spaces in Kulspai and Gitaus are regularly patrolled throughout the week to ensure all dogs, and dog owners, are acting responsibly so everyone can enjoy public spaces.
As per the Kitselas Dog Control Act, all dogs are required to be licensed with Kitselas Lands Management.
Benefits of dog licenses:
• Form of identification.
• Fastest way to reunite you with your lost dog.
• Mandatory requirement for all dogs; must be displayed at all times.
• Fees help offset costs of operating animal control and shelter services.
• Owners of licensed dogs avoid paying an additional penalty if dog is impounded.
How to license your dog:
• Come to our office in Gitaus or book an appointment for us to come to you.
• Fill out the Dog License application form (link to pdf), available here or at our office
• Pay $15 and receive a dog tag and copy of the license
• Re-new license every January
Looking for Your Dog?
Once a dog is impounded, it will be transported to the Thornhill Animal Shelter and the owner will be notified ASAP. Kitselas Members pay the impoundment fees as listed on the Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine’s website
To Report a Loose or Roaming Dog
Call 778-634-3517 with details of the dog and location.
To Report an Aggressive Animal or Animal Cruelty
Call BC SPCA at 1-800-622-7722
Provide details such as name of owner, address, date and time.
Evidence such as pictures and videos are helpful.