Kitselas Housing is overseen by the Kitselas Public Works, Housing & Infrastructure Department.
• Provides access to funding for new homes, repairs and renovations on-reserve.
• Manages repairs and renovations.
• Manages construction of new homes.
• Assists in meeting reporting requirements for Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) and the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC).
Our mission is to provide safe and stable housing for Kitselas members on-reserve.
From 2005 – 2011, Kitselas built 63 new homes. We have been able to bring approximately 252 band members home. We are working hard to ensure that we address any housing issues as quickly as possible, and we look forward to building more new homes for our People.
Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP)
(need more info, easier to understand re. how this works, application process, timelines, types of repairs, etc.)
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) offers financial assistance to low-income homeowners for mandatory home repairs that will preserve the quality of affordable housing. The program helps people who live in substandard dwellings and cannot afford to pay for necessary repairs to their homes.
Kitselas housing can work with members to access these programs and funds.
Please see applications below:
• On-Reserve Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP) Application
• Social Assistance – Verification of Income Form
• Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP) Application for persons with disabilities
Home Adaptations for Seniors’ Independence (HASI)
The Home Adaptations for Senior’s Independence (HASI) Program offers financial assistance through the Kitselas Band Council to help low income Elders continue to live independently in their own homes.
• Informational Brochure
• HASI Assessment
• HASI Application
Keeping your home dry, by controlling moisture and water damage, is key to preventing the growth of mould. Here’s a few tips to help you reduce and control moisture sources:
• Do not hang wet clothes to dry inside your house.
• Use exhaust fans in your bathrooms and kitchen.
• Do not store firewood indoors.
• Repair leaky appliances, plumbing pipes and fixtures as soon as possible.
• Disconnect your water hose from your outside water faucet.
Please note that these programs are not always available and the criteria changes every year.